Saturday 1 February 2014

A letter to my body

I came across this idea this morning and I found it both moving and inspiring and I decided it would be helpful to me to write my own....

To my body,

As a very little girl, you splashed in puddles, skipped and danced and ran, took me swimming in Scottish seas and twirling in pretty pink dresses round church halls. You sat on ponies as they carried me through the Hebridean moors, wobbled me round sparkling winter ice rinks, took me soaring through the air on my beloved playground swings, and carried me through treasured memories and the joys of childhood fun and innocence.... Later as you discovered what it feels like to be beaten and bruised, you patiently rode out such assaults and resiliently carried my little heart onwards, never giving up, quietly waiting for more chances to celebrate your full vitality and feel love once more. When I punished you and deprived you of the nutrients you longed for and the rest you deserved, you continued to wait, you didn't give up on me... You instead granted me a second chance, you healed and bounced back, and once again you ran and climbed and danced me through my first relationships, romantic holidays, the discovery of new talents and passions. You twirled once more in pretty dresses; your heart fluttered to the soaring of beautiful ballet scores, your feet pounded and arms waved with jubilance at the sound of my favourite bands. You granted me the possibilities of love and life once more. When someone stabbed you, you healed beautifully for me, kindly resting your scar in my laughter line, as if forever reminding me to smile at my fortunes rather than magnify my misfortunes. Again you forgave me when I turned to alcohol, to cutting, and once more stopped feeding you and loving you as I should. Again you waited patiently for me to learn kindness once more and care for you and thank you for all you have given me. Through good times and bad, every week you carry me along the coast path, you open my eyes to nature, beauty, freedom, and possibilities. You warm my heart with the embraces of the man I love, you cry tears of joy and passion as I witness my favourite ballerinas dance out my childhood fantasies, you skip at the joys of the new day, and bounce with excitement as you carry me round Paris and fulfil my teenage dreams. You bring me a closeness and connection with friends that words alone cannot achieve as we embrace and celebrate the gifts of friendship, loyalty, and love. You still have not given up on my hope of motherhood despite my many neglects and assaults on you. You are an instrument of strength, resilience, and passion; you bring me so much possibility, carry me through the joys and sorrows of life, and keep going. You forgive my unkindness and reward me with more possibilities still.
This day I promise I will thank you, I will show you the love you deserve. You carry the marks of all the colours of my life and memories past - good and bad. You have carried me through these, and safely to this day. This day I will feed you, nourish you, give you rest when you need it... and I will skip and dance with your beauty and possibility. You are so much more than a number. You are the physicality of my past, my present, my potential, and my resilience. Thank you. I am sorry for so often neglecting this and not recognising how lucky I am to have you...

No comments:

Post a Comment